ACDA members and members of associate professional and scholarly societies are invited to submit interest session proposals for the ACDA Southern Region Conference to be held in Mobile, Alabama on March 11-14, 2020
Application Due Date: April 5, 2019
The selection committee will be guided in their acceptance process by the following criteria:
- Importance and timeliness of the topic;
- Consideration of conference theme “Lift Every Voice”
- Practical applicability to the membership of the Southern Region;
- Quality of the written summary including its objectives and organization; and
- Overall conference program balance.
- Priority will be given to ACDA members.
A variety of session formats are offered. The committee will consider lectures, clinics, panels, demonstration sessions, repertoire sessions, or any other forum that speaks to the musical, intellectual, and technical issues faced by choral musicians. It is also expected that the full palette of interest sessions, as a whole, will reflect a wide spectrum of styles, cultures, literature and musicians. NOTE: all sessions will be 50 minutes in length.
CONFERENCE THEME: LIFT EVERY VOICE
We want to create a welcoming space where everyone who comes to the conference feels at home and can relate to some aspect of the conference. We hope to provide experiences that break the mold and are devoted to creative and innovative work extending beyond conventional choral practice with programs rooted in principles of equity, justice, inclusion, and diversity. In this critical time, we need to find more ways to present music as a force for good.
This mission fully supports the Vision Statement found in the National ACDA 2018 Strategic Plan: “To create powerful artistic experiences and be advocates for cultural and educational change that we might transform the lives of singers and listeners alike.”
ACDA members are invited to submit a performing choir application for the ACDA Southern Regional Conference to be held in Mobile, Alabama March 11-14, 2020.
Application Submission Due Date: Friday, April 5, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. ET
Accepted performing choirs will be notified on May 13, 2019.
- Conductors must be current members of ACDA, and if selected, must remain in good standing during the 2020 conference.
- No performing ensemble or conductor may appear at consecutive regional/divisional confrerences. This does not apply to those ensembles or directors who appeared as a demonstration choir.
- The director of the ensemble must have been employed in the same position with the same choir for at least three consecutive years prior to 2019-2020.
- Submissions must feature live recordings.
- Submissions must feature the same conductor and the same ensemble.
- Recordings may not be enhanced or engineered in any way. Failure to follow this criterion will result in disqualification.
- Submissions must include representative examples of the choir’s performances over the past three years (September-August), and presented in the following order: (A) First selection from the 2018-2019 academic year. (B) Second selection from the 2017-2018 academic year. (C) Third selection from the 2016-2017 academic year.
- No recorded accompaniments may be used in any auditions recording, or in a performance at an ACDA conference.
- Recordings should reflect repertoire similar in complexity and style to the proposed program, but need not be selections on your proposed program.
- All recordings can be uploaded in the acceptable formats: MP3, MP4, M4a
- Submissions must include an uploaded, proposed 2020 program.
It is imperative that all uploaded files and documents contain anonymity to ensure fairness and integrity during the adjudication process.